REMINDER: The 2018 Ohio Tax Amnesty Program is from January 1 through February 15, 2018
By: Paul E. Valencic, Senior Manager, Tax at Maloney+Novotny
Over the summer, we reported on a few of the highlights of Am. Sub. H.B. 49, which included a tax amnesty program available for both individual and business taxpayers.
The Ohio tax amnesty program, which runs January 1st through February 15, 2018, allows delinquent taxpayers the opportunity to come forward and pay qualifying unreported or under-reported taxes. By participating in the amnesty program, taxpayers are afforded full penalty abatement and the interest charge will be half of what is normally assessed.
Only unreported or underreported qualifying taxes which were due and payable as of May 1, 2017 qualify for the amnesty program. The amnesty program includes the following Ohio taxes:
- Individual Income Tax
- Individual School District Income Tax
- Employer Withholding Tax
- Employer Withholding School District Income Tax
- Pass-Through Entity Tax
- Sales Tax
- Use Tax
- Commercial Activity Tax
- Financial Institutions Tax
- Cigarette or Other Tobacco Products Tax
- Alcoholic Beverage Taxes
Why you may not qualify for Ohio tax amnesty
Not all qualifying taxes qualify for the amnesty program. Any of the following circumstances will prevent taxpayers from participating in the amnesty program:
- The application submitted was for taxes that do not qualify for amnesty.
- Eligible taxes were not due and payable as of May 1, 2017.
- The Ohio Department of Taxation has issued a billing or assessment notice for the taxes on your application.
- The Ohio Department of Taxation has already started an audit of the taxes for which you’ve requested amnesty.
- Failure to include the correct application, complete return(s) and full payment.
The last Ohio tax amnesty program offered was in 2012. As such, we encourage delinquent taxpayers to come forward and take advantage of the amnesty program and its offerings. You can get complete details of the Ohio tax amnesty program here.
If you have eligibility questions, or would like to know more about the Ohio tax amnesty program, please contact Paul Valencic at email@example.com or (216) 344-5229, or call your Maloney + Novotny LLC representative. You may also contact us via this online contact form.